Malevolent Planet [Ongoing] - Version: 0.1.4 Public
Consider supporting the dev if you like the game and want them to do what they love. Click on dev's link for more info.
Release Date: 4 April, 2021
Game Size: 137.70 MB
Game Engine: HTML
Current Game Version: 0.1.4 Public (Ongoing)
Total Views: 11,857 views
Post your problem in our Discord server for faster response. Click here to join.
Malevolent Planet is a text-based game set into a future not too far from our present. Humanity discovered a planet in another solar system that closely resembles Earth and decided to spend valuable resources on the discovery of the foreign planet, as Earth has gotten more and more polluted and famine has set scientists into a craze for any viable solutions that would save humanity from itself. The protagonist is a graduate of the International Space Academy and, by sheer luck, managed to land a spot on a reconnaissance mission to find out why the other missions failed to send a message back. You and your crew are set on a journey of a lifetime and your dream to explore the space has finally come true.
How to install?
- Download the .zip with the name Malevolent Planet v0.1.3 Public Release.zip
- Unzip it anywhere you'd like and open the newly created folder
- Launch the .html file, preferably through Chrome. The images folder should be in the same folder with the .html file
- Click Run Game on itch https://sugarmint.itch.io/malevolent-planet
- Dual Core Pentium or equivalent Processor.
- Intel HD 2000 or equivalent Graphics.
- 137.70 MB of free disk space (Recommended to have twice as much free disk space than this).
What's New in Malevolent Planet Version - 0.1.4 Public?
- Overhauled UI. The interface of the game has been rebuilt from scratch to make the game feel nicer to play on more resolutions. Your avatar will now be completely visible without needing to scroll down.
- 2 New Quests that mark the ending of the game’s first open-world chapter. They’re built from the grounds-up to put a greater emphasis on player choice.
- Overhauled Avatar & Clothing & Wardrobe System. You can now equip individual clothing items on your character, although some outfits are part of a pair. Ripped clothes have also arrived with this update. Check them out in combat.
- 163k words worth of content over the last update, bringing the total word count of the game so far to ~415k.
- Gameplay Improvements. A ton of fixes to the reported grievances with the game so far, especially regarding the ability to restore health & energy in a more intuitive way and/or on the go. For more details about the ability to restore your stats on the go, check out the inventory bulletpoint from below.
- More Outfits.
- More Drawings (no censorship anymore)
The Open-World content now starts by giving you your own helper device, akin to the Pipboy from Fallout. The device is visualized as a Futuristic Smartwatch Menu and comes with multiple menus, some of them not finished yet:
- Character Screen. Currently barebones, with the only useful choice being that of changing your currently equipped weapon on the fly. I’m developing a RPG system that uses the choices you’ve made in the game up to the end of the village to shape your character’s personality and make the next map’s content more dynamic, immersive and fun. Disco Elysium is an example of the complexity I’d like to reach, but I’m taking everything one step at a time.
- Quests Log. This menu will provide you with a list of your active quests. Clicking the title of a quest focuses it and makes it render in a purple color on the maps.
- Diary. It stores the thoughts of your character as she progresses through content in the game and it has the role of hinting you at where all the possible content is (such as where the blackjack mini game takes place), together with entries that if you follow, will show you helpful tips such as where to go to restore your health without needing to sleep, or where to procure your own snack bar and fill your thermos with coffee.
- Codex. This is the game’s own encyclopedia. There aren’t many entries right now, but it will gain a lot more as interactions with more alien races will occur more often in the next update.
- Interactive Inventory. You can now use items from your inventory to restore your health & energy levels.
- Messaging. This isn’t developed yet, because your character isn’t widely known on the extranet yet, so she won’t receive any emails/messages until she goes to the next map.
- Achievements. This isn’t developed yet, but it will be as soon as I find out fun achievements to put in the game.
- Relationships. Just a way to track your standing with different characters. This will matter in the next update and I plan to develop it similarly to the Hades relationship system, with new scenes & content unlocked by becoming more “friendly” with NPCs.
- Art Gallery. All the drawings you see in the game are supposed to be laid out here for a quick revisit. Clicking their icons will popup a full screen version of the drawing.